One of the known benefits of learning how to develop positive thinking is having the ability to make good decisions. Through sound decision-making, you allow yourself to become more efficient and productive.
We all have to make various decisions on a daily basis…that is a fact we cannot escape. Some of these decisions are simple and have minor consequences, but there are also others that are important and potentially life changing.
If you are confronted with difficult and complex decisions to make, there’s a certain process, which involves both your conscious and sub-conscious mind, that you can follow to help you come up with a good solution. The sub-conscious mind is your habitual mind where your beliefs are held, so it is important we try and “expand” our decision making beyond what we see as reasonable or logical right?
Here are some steps you can start implementing to make better decisions.
- Determine what decision has to be made, and figure out what outcome or objectives you need to achieve with such decision.
- Gather as much information and as many facts as you can so you can better evaluate the options available to you. Don’t discard any option, no matter what you think of it.
- Do some brainstorming so you can come up with a number of choices. Find out if those options are in line with your abilities, interests, or values. Invite people to brainstorm with you, so you can see things from another’s perspective.
- Imagine the possible outcomes or probabilities. This means that you should picture out what’s the worst thing that may happen because of your decision.
- List down the pros and cons of every option. You need to prioritize which of your considerations are most important, and which ones are less important. It’s possible that when you compare the pros and the cons, you will realize how significantly lopsided they are.
- Get others’ opinions and ask for feedback from people you trust. They may give you points that you haven’t considered yet. Remember we are trying to expand and challenge our existing limited beliefs, so we need new and different perspectives.
- Be ready to make the decision and keep track of the results. You need to make sure your decision leads to your desired results. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t achieve your results. Use those results to learn lessons, so you can improve them in the future.
Important Points to Consider
– There are just no guarantees in this world. For every decision that you make, you’ll never know in advance if it’s the right one to make or not. It’s important that you be prepared to take risks and step outside your comfort zone..
– Should you end up making the wrong decision, take this mistake as an opportunity to learn. Know what didn’t work and what caused it to happen. You can then use this as a guide as you make similar decisions in the future.
– Don’t let fear overpower you. After doing all the brainstorming and you still aren’t sure what decision to make, you’ll probably delay the decision-making because you’re scared you might make the wrong choice. Well, you can never know unless you make up your mind, so there’s no point in prolonging your agony.
At the end of the day, what really matters is that you do your best so you could end up making the right decision.